Journalism in the service of society

NNPC set to lessen queues, releases additional 381.8 million litres of fuel

DESPITE assertions by the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC) that it has been releasing hundreds of millions of litres of petrol to remedy the situation, the scarcity of Premium Motor Spirit, also known as petrol, has persisted.

NNPC says it evacuated an additional 381.88 million litres of petrol from February 21 to 26, 2022, in its latest weekly national PMS evacuation report, which was released on Sunday.

The oil company announced a week ago that it supplied 387.59 million litres of PMS from February 14 to February 20, 2022, in an effort to close the gap in fuel supplies.

Despite the government’s promises, queues for petrol at filling stations in Abuja and neighboring Nasarawa and Niger, as well as in many other states, were long on Sunday.

At the Nipco fueling station on the Kubwa end of the Kubwa-Zuba expressway in Abuja, motorists formed lines. In Zuba, Niger State and Lagos motorists swarmed the few petrol stations, forming huge lines.

Petrol customers in many other states complained of scarcity in their various locations, and the same issue played out in filling stations in Mararaba and Nyanya in Nasarawa State.

However, according to the NNPC’s PMS weekly evacuation report for February 21 to 26, 2022, it evacuated a total of 381.88 million litres of petrol, reflecting an average daily evacuation of 63.65 million litres, compared to a year-to-date daily average of 60.86 million litres.

According to the report, the top 20 high loading depots accounted for 80% of all evacuations, with the remaining 20% occurring in other depots.

Pinnacle-Lekki, with 43.259 million litres, Aiteo, with 22.462 million litres, A.A. Rano, with 22.43 million litres, A.Y.M Shafa, with 19.232 million litres, and Prudent, with 17.788 million litres, are among the top 20 high load-out depots.

According to NNPC, enterprises involved in PMS load-out include Gonzaga, with 8.23 million litres; Bovas Bulk-Ibafon, with 7.761 million litres; PPMC Mosimi, with 7.15 million litres; and First Royal, with 4.825 million litres.

Petrol scarcity in Nigeria has been ongoing for about a month. As a result of this scenario, black marketers have resurfaced, selling petrol for between N300 and N500 per litre, depending on the area of purchase.

Comments are closed.

Naija Times