Journalism in the service of society

FG amends seven-count charge against Nnamdi Kanu

THE Federal Government (FG) has filed an amended seven-count terrorism charge against the detained leader of the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu.

It was gathered that the amended charge marked FHC/ABJ/CR/383/2015, which was entered before the Federal High Court in Abuja, contained all allegations against the IPOB leader that were earlier sustained by the trial court.

FG specifically alleged that Kanu who is currently in the custody of the Department of State Service (DSS) in Abuja, had in a broadcast issued a deadly threat that anyone who flouted IPOB’s sit-at-home order in the South-East region, should write his or her will (meaning the person is considered a dead person).

Furthermore, the FG alleged that the separatist leader had on diverse dates between 2018 and 2021, made broadcasts that were received and heard in Nigeria, inciting members of the public to target and kill Nigerian security personnel and their family members, thereby committing an offence punishable under Section 1 (2) (h) of the Terrorism Prevention Amendment Act, 2013.

Also, authorities alleged that Kanu directed IPOB members to manufacture bombs.

Kanu had previously pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Already, trial Justice Binta Nyako has scheduled next Monday for both Kanu’s team of lawyers led by Mike Ozekhome (SAN), and the prosecution counsel to address the court on the way forward in the matter.

Meanwhile, Ozekhome said Nigeria would disintegrate if Kanu is not released from custody soon despite courts.

According to him: “We are at the Supreme Court, and it will right the wrong because nobody will intimidate the Supreme court. They will have to do something so that Nigeria will not disintegrate.

“I have told the court that releasing Kanu will not break the South East or bring unrest in the zone. Rather, that is what will calm South East.”

Comments are closed.

Naija Times