Journalism in the service of society

Brentford’s Toney charged with more betting breaches, faces long FA ban

BRENTFORD striker Ivan Toney has had additional charges brought against him for alleged breaches of betting rules.

The Football Association of England announced a further 30 charges against the Three Lions striker tonight.

In November, Toney was charged with 232 alleged breaches of betting rules.

The 26-year-old Toney has scored 10 Premier League goals this season but missed out on the England squad to the Qatar 2022 World Cup, possibly due to the case.

“The club has been in discussion with Ivan and his legal representatives. Those conversations will continue privately,” Brentford had said in a statement when the first charges were announced last month.

“We will make no further comment until the matter has been completed.”

Toney has until January 4 to respond to the new FA misconduct charges, involving alleged breaches of Rule E8, which bans players from betting on games, or sharing privileged information for the purposes of betting.

He faces a long ban if the charges are proven.

Previously, England defender Kieran Trippier, who is now with Newcastle United, was banned for 10 weeks by the FA in December 2020 for giving out information for others to bet on his transfer from Tottenham Hotspur to Atletico Madrid.

Also, in 2017, Joey Barton, who was then at Burnley, was banned for 18 months — reduced to 13 on appeal — after he admitted placing 1,260 football-related bets over a 10-year period.

Toney said earlier this month, after the allegations were first reported, that he was “assisting the Football Association with their enquiries”.

There were calls for Toney to be included in England’s 26-man squad for the Qatar 2022 World Cup but Gareth Southgate look elsewhere for his forward line, apparently because of the controversy around the in-form Brentford star.

Comments are closed.

Naija Times