Journalism in the service of society

Two shot dead in New Zealand hours before Women’s World Cup kicks off

TWO people have been shot dead in the central district of Auckland, New Zealand, the city that the will host the opening match of the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

The tournament will begin tomorrow morning (Thursday) and end on August 20, with New Zealand and Australia co-hosting.

New Zealand police confirmed the shooting and said at least four other people were injured, with the gunman also dead after the incident which happened around 7pm Nigerian time (7am Thursday in New Zealand).

Mayor Wayne Brown said it was a “dreadful thing to happen” in his city, according to the BBC.

The shooting happened hours before the city is due to host the Women’s World Cup opening match between New Zealand and Norway at Eden Park, with kick-off scheduled for 8am Nigerian time.

All FIFA personnel and football teams are safe and have been accounted for, the mayor said.

Police assured later that the incident on Queen Street had been contained.

According to the BBC, the police said they heard reports of a person discharging a firearm inside the construction site, and the gunman moved through the building and continued to shoot.

He then went into a lift shaft and police attempted to stop him.

Further shots were fired by the man and he was found dead a short time later, police added.

They assured that the incident is not viewed as a national security risk.

Comments are closed.

Naija Times