Journalism in the service of society

Man United ‘taking seriously’ assault allegations against Antony

 

IN an official response to the allegations of assault against their player Antony, Manchester United have promised to look into the matter.

The club said in an official statement today that they are taking the allegations seriously after the Brazil forward was accused by his ex-girlfriend of violent acts of domestic abuse

The 23-year-old winger was withdrawn from the Brazil squad on Monday following the weighty accusations made by his ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin.

“Manchester United acknowledges the allegations made against Antony and notes that the police are conducting enquiries,” the club said in a terse statement posted on their official website today.

“As a club, we are taking this matter seriously, with consideration of the impact of these allegations and subsequent reporting will have on survivors of abuse.”

United did not clarify if Antony will remain an active member of their squad during the period of internal investigation.

Antony has refuted the allegations, posting a statement on Instagram on Monday in which he claimed he was the victim of false accusations.

Brazilian outlet UOL had published WhatsApp messages, reputedly between Antony and Cavallin, in which the player allegedly threatened his ex-partner.

Cavallin is also shown in one photo with an apparent head wound.

The former Ajax player admitted that his relationship with Cavallin was ‘tumultuous, with verbal abuse on both sides’ but insisted there was no physical assault.

This is the second assault case involving a Manchester United player in recent months after a similar situation forced the club to part ways with Mason Greenwood.

The 21-year-old striker had faced charges including attempted rape and assault against his partner in early 2022, but prosecutors announced in February this year that the case had been dropped after key witnesses withdrew and new evidence, which they have refused to share, emerged.

Although United announced that English forward Greenwood would never play for them again, he is still on their books and has been loaned to Spanish side Getafe.

 

Comments are closed.

Naija Times